http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping

Esse Blog está no Gayblogs.blogspot.com! Coloque o seu também! "GLBTI Weddings PLUS!"

"GLBTI Weddings PLUS!"

The Blog of the U.S.'s first GLBTI-specific Wedding and Events firm. Discussion spot for clients and visitors to interact with savvyplanners.com staff and experts, in an informal forum, regarding Gay Weddings or Same-Sex Marriage, LGBT weddings and Traditional weddings and other issues affecting the GLBTI.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

via 365gay.com
Del Martin (left) and her partner Phyllis Lyon being married by SF Mayor Gavin Newsom.

Del Martin, beloved figure of the gay and lesbian civil rights movement, died this morning. She and her partner Phyllis Lyon were the first to be legally married in the state of California.

Gavin Newsome is speaking in remembrance now - more soon.
"Ever since I met Del 55 years ago, I could never imagine a day
would come when she wouldn’t be by my side. I am so lucky to have known her, loved her, and been her partner in all things," Lyon said. "I also never imagined there would be day that we would actually be able to get married. I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed."

Related coverage:
Lesbian activist Del Martin dies at 87 (AP/San Jose Mercury News)
Gay Rights Pioneer Del Martin Dies at 87 by Steve Weinstein New York Editor-In-Chief; EDGE Boston

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 27/8/08 3:59 PM, Blogger savvyLiving!™ with Marcinho Savant said…

    When I read this, my heart skipped several beats and took my breath away. I offer my most sincere condolences to her Widow, their friends and family and the state of California.

    Though my heart is heavy, I am able to see the joy of their being legally wed, making future matters far easier to manage for Mrs. Lyon-Martin.

    I've nothing else to say. Except Thank you ladies, for all you've done for us and for me.

    Dang it!

    -MW Savant

     
  • At 2/9/08 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am late responding, but did read about her passing. I am happy to know that they did get to experience being legally married and how wonderful that feeling had to have been.

    My condolences to her family during this difficult time of loss.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home